Posted on 6 November, 2013
Mas Coll is an estate that has been linked to the world of wine for centuries. It dates back to the 17th century, more specifically to 1679, the year from which we have the first written reference to the house, although it was built earlier and was known by another name. For thirteen generations, the Coll family devoted their lives to cultivating the Mediterranean trilogy: olives, vines and wheat. With the passing of the years, cereals stopped being grown, but wine and olive oil have always formed part of this estate, as shown by the 19th century olive press displayed in the museum, and the 55 hectares of vines and olive trees that surround the house.
Over the course of its history, Mas Coll has been an important point of reference for the population of Roses. This may be because it belonged to the first landowners in Roses or perhaps because of its strategic location, set back from the sea and just below the road leading to Cadaqués, which afforded it protection. In the 15th century, for example, the circular tower of the house served as a watchtower to warn of the arrival of pirates and, a few centuries later, during the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939), many people fled to the property seeking refuge from air and sea attacks.
In the mid 1980s, the Coll family, who had abandoned the vines a generation earlier, decided they wanted to recover one of the most emblematic features of the estate. In order to do this, they contacted the most famous wine grower in the area, Lluís Espelt, and formed an association with him. Soon after this, the vineyards passed into Espelt’s hands and his children have been cultivating them ever since. In 2010, the current generation of the Espelt family, aware that the wines the estate produces have their own character, acquired the whole estate started up the Coll de Roses and Wine Family Museum project.